Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tuna sandwich in a casserole form. Talk about an All-American recipe! Budget stretcher and great way to use up that bread has gone stale. This casserole is a make ahead casserole. Prepare in the morning and bake in the evening. You can use different kinds of bread or other canned meats to vary the recipe.
- 12 slices bread
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise or 3⁄4 cup salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- Grease 3 quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. 13 x 9 x 2 works best.
- Trim the crusts from the bread slices. Spread a side of 6 of the bread slices with half of the softened margarine or butter.
- Place the bread slices, buttered side up, over the bottom of the baking dish, trimming the bread slices as necessary to fit; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the tuna, celery, green peppers, pickle relish and onions. Add the mayonnaise or salad dressing; stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Spread the tuna mixture over the buttered bread slices in the baking dish. Spread the remaining margarine or butter over a side of each of the remaining bread slices. Place the bread slices, buttered side up, over the tuna mixture, trimming the slices as necessary to fit.
- In a large bowl using a wire whisk, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, undiluted cream of mushroom soup and dill weed; mix well.
- Carefully pour the soup mixture evenly over the bread and tuna layers in the baking dish. Cover the baking dish and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, in the 350°F oven about 1 hour or until the top of the casserole is golden brown. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving to allow it to set up.
I had some stale hotdog buns to use and this was the perfect way to use them. I left out the celery (don't like it) and used red peppers not green but otherwise followed the recipe. I also had some cheddar cheese I needed to use so sprinkled it on the top after taking out of the oven so I had a tuna melt casserole :) Thanks for the recipe!