Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Excellent filled rolls, good hot or cold for a packed lunch. Can be filled with almost anything you want, check out the fridge and use your imagination. Half recipe for one.
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese (, we like sharp)
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce or 2 tablespoons ketchup or 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons relish
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 French rolls
- Combine all ingredients except rolls in mixing bowl.
- Stir until blended.
- Slice about 1 inch off end of french roll.
- Scoop out center of roll and discard.
- Spoon tuna mixture into roll.
- Replace top of roll.
- Wrap roll in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Good served hot or cold.
- Recipe can be cut in half for one.
- This also works well with cubed left over cooked chicken, or try left over chilli, left over veggies, or almost anything you want, check out the fridge and use your imagination.
These were great for a quick supper last night! After making them, I just wrapped them tightly in plastic. They probably sat for a few hours in the fridge before we ate them. Per the other reviewers, I used tuna in the pouch and left out the lemon juice. They had good flavor and plenty of zip. I am looking forward to trying diced, cooked chicken and various shredded or chopped veggies. These would be particularly suited to "wetter" fillings and not as fragile as pita bread. Derf, you are probably laughing at me from heaven, but I didn't understand the cutting instructions. The cut needs to be made lengthwise, because you are making a boat. RIP.
I used the pouched tuna instead of canned and omitted the relish as a personal preference. I also used a bit more chili sauce and like the little flavor punch. Thanks for posting a simple variation of a tuna melt.
I nearly followed this recipe to the letter except I left out the lemon juice and relish. I used ketchup and it was really nice. A nice change from normal tuna and mayonnaise or tuna melt sandwiches.