Recipe by Manami
Loosely based on"Every Day with Rachel Ray" Nov/06 edition. UPDATE: 08/26/2008 since everyone has increased the amount of garlic to 6 cloves, then I'll suggest that! Also, add some lemon zest. As for the heat - we enjoyed it the way it is. If desired, add some anchovies - it tastes great! Just ANOTHER UPDATE: 06/24/09 - increase the servings to 4 generous servings or 6 regular servings.
Top Review by chrissycat13
I really enjoyed this recipe. It was flavorful and an interesting way to cook tuna. This is not a complaint (who doesn't like leftovers?), but I halved the recipe and could still probably get four servings out of it. Still great... thanks for the recipe Manami!
- fresh ground black pepper
- 453.59 g penne pasta (whole wheat or wheat)
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 (340.19 g) can tuna in olive oil, lightly drained
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes (start with less & increase)
- 44.37 ml capers, drained and chopped
- kalamata olives (about a handful) or nicoise olive, pitted and chopped (about a handful)
- 793.78 g candiced Italian tomatoes
- flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (generous handful)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add pasta and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a deep skillet over medium heat with the EVOO.
- Add the tuna, flaking it with a wooden spoon.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the capers and olives and heat until warmed through, 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the parsley, lower the heat a little and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add a ladle of the pasta cooking liquid to the sauce.
- Drain the pasta, add it to the sauce and toss.