Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I originally found this recipe in a Indian cookbook by Shehzad Hussain but this version has a few modifications to suit my family's tastes. It serves as a quick and light dinner/snack. For a truly Indian twist,you can substitute tzatziki sauce with freshly prepared Cucumber Raita.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tuna in water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- pita bread, to serve
- tzatziki, sauce to serve
- Heat oil in a deep pan and stir fry the cumin seeds on medium heat till they begin to splutter.
- Add the ground corriander,cumin,and red chilli powders and salt.Continue to stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Next,add the garlic,onions,and pepper.Fry,stirring occassionally until the onion has browned.
- Add tuna, green chillies and ginger and cook for 5minutes.
- Stir in the fresh corriander and add garam masala, lemon juice and cook 3-4 minutes till almost dry.
- To serve,cut warmed pita bread into two, spread the tzatziki sauce evenly and stuff the pita pockets with the tuna filling.
I made these as described, but served them on thin whole grain buns. They were good, but I was surprised that the fresh spices I used didn't result in more overall flavor. But now I've got my eye on your chutney and relish recipes... they look delish! Thanks for posting, Seeprats. :o)