Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A healthy light lunch. Makes a change from regular tuna salad sandwiches.
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tuna in water, flaked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -5 drops hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tobasco)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 6-inch pitas, cut in half
- 1 cup English cucumber, thinly sliced (with peel)
- 2 cups alfalfa sprouts (not packed)
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT pitas, cucumber and sprouts in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Open pita pockets.
- Line with cucumber slices and alfalfa sprouts.
- Fill with tuna mixture.
Zenith...this is truly sensational...the best tuna sadwich I have eaten! I did not have cilanto so I substitued a pinch of dried tarragon because we like that taste. I also did not use alfalfa sprouts and replaced English with regular cucumbers. The mix of the sweet with the tart and spicy is incredible. I will make this over and over.
These were delicious! I added another another tablespoon of mayonaise, however. This was a really fresh tasting tuna salad that I enjoyed for lunches all week. Thanks for sharing!
I doubled this complete recipe and used lemon juice in place of the lime, this definately needed more mayonnaise for my family's taste, I enjoyed the combination of spices, but will reduce the fresh coriander amount by half next time, I used about 1/4 cup for a double recipe and it was a little too much, thanks for sharing Loves2Teach!...Kitten