Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious and healthy comfort food casserole.
- 24 frozen potato and cheddar pierogi
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 6 slices low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- With nonstick cooking spray, coat bottom of 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a large pot over high heat, thaw pierogies in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain; place in prepared dish.
- In large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat oil.
- Add celery and onion; saute about 5 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Remove from heat; add tuna, soup and mayonnaise, stir until well mixed.
- Spoon tuna mixture over pierogies in dish; place cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
I made this the other day because I had all the ingredients and did not want to go to the store. When I told my husband what we were having for dinner he looked very dubious. One bite in, he was exclaiming how good it was. Total comfort food. I did not use fat free or low fat ingredients as I did not have any. The only change I would make is to use shredded cheddar rather than sliced. I will definitely make this again.