Recipe by blucoat
This is a delicious, flavourful, and healthy tuna salad sandwich from Bon Appétit Magazine (August 2002). It's also good without the apple. If you are not a pickle lover, use a little less pickle. Per serving: Calories: 304; Fat, 5 g
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped and drained pickles (sweet or dill) or 1⁄2 cup drained relish
- 3 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled, and cored Granny Smith apples or 1⁄2 cup another tart apple
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups thinly sliced red leaf lettuce
- 4 pita breads, halved, pockets opened
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 4 ingredients in small bowl. Season tuna mixture with salt and pepper.
- Mix bell pepper, onion, and apple in medium bowl. Add half of vegetable mixture to tuna mixture and stir to blend. Add vinegar to remaining vegetable mixture; toss to combine. Season vegetable mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 1/4 cup lettuce in each pita half. Spoon 1/8 of tuna mixture, then 1/8 of vegetable mixture into each pita half. Place 2 pita halves on each of 4 plates and serve.