Recipe by The Flying Chef
I have already posted a salmon patty recipe, so I thought I would move on to tuna. I buy Ahi tuna, which is most commonly used in raw Japanese fish dishes such as sashimi. Ahi refers to two species, bigeye tuna and yellowfin tuna. With yellowfin being most common, it has nice red pigmentation to skin, it is more perishable than bigeye and looses its red pigmentation quicker. So when buying look for a good bright red colour for freshness.
Top Review by Chef susan from Sandpoint,Idaho
This is really good! I made it with boneless skinless chicken breasts, that I ground. The only change was to add soy sauce and garlicchili paste to the mayonaise
- olive oil
- 850 g fresh ahi tuna (see description above)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, Finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs, flakes (Japanese breadcrumbs I found these a few years ago and have never gone back to regular breadcrumbs, )
For the wasabi mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tuna into chunks place tuna, mayo, mustard, vinegar and lemon juice into a food processor or blender and pulse until ingredients are just combined. Add onion, soy sauce, ginger and garlic and pulse again to combine.
- Add coriander and panko (note: save enough flakes to coat the outside of patties for frying.) Mix these ingredients until combined.
- Shape into patties it will make 8 medium patties (2 per person) or 6 Large burgers if you want to serve them this way in buns. Place patties on tray and put in fridge to chill for 15-20 Min's.
- Heat oil in pan (you may need 2) Or you can grill on BBQ. Add patties to pan and cook on each side about 4-5 Min's. The patties should have a nice golden brown outside and be medium rare inside. If you over cook tuna it becomes very dry.
- For the wasabi mayonnaise.
- Mix a little water with the wasabi powder to form a paste add mustard and mayo and mix well place in refrigerator for about 30 Min's to allow flavours to infuse.
- To serve place atop salad greens and serve the wasabi mayonnaise on the side.