Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple dinner idea. We serve this with a veggie (usually broccoli or spinach) and either mac & cheese or fried potatoes. You can use cracker crumbs instead of breadcrumbs. It's just to soak up some moisture. The patties can be made earlier and set in the fridge. I've never frozen them, so you'll need to do your own experimentation for that! You can cook these in a George Foreman grill, or in a skillet or frying pan. We like them fried!
- 2 (5 -6 ounce) cans tuna in water, well drained (NOT oil)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup onion, cut as small as preferred
- salt & pepper
- oil, & butter to cook in (optional)
- Mix all ingredients.
- Use more or less breadcrumbs, as needed, to soak up the moisture from the tuna and egg until it is the consistency of a "patty" (I'm sorry I can not explain this better!).
- Make into patties 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle both sides of patties with pepper, and pat it inches.
- Warm up oil and butter in a pan over medium heat, enough so it's hot enough to cook but not burn. You know how your own burners work.
- Fry until golden brown, and flip to cook the other side.
These were delicious and super easy to make. I used lemon pepper seasoning mix instead of salt &pepper, other than that followed the recipe. Served the patties with homemade coleslaw and a mayo+red wine vinegar+lemon pepper seasoning mix as a cold sauce on the side. Definitely a keeper, thank you so much for sharing!
I am going to be that one random person in these reviews. I'm a throw it together cook like my mother so I saw a can of tuna, some crackers, an egg, various seasoning and thought tuna patty! Smashed those crackers up ultra fine the threw it all together. Then proceeded to season. I followed the directions making it easier to know what I was doing. I love it! Turned out fantastic. Thanks for helping this throw it together cook know what she's doing. :)
These turned out great! I used Panko breadcrumbs and a good dollop of hoisin sauce for extra flavor. I fried until just lightly golden. We served with brown rice pilaf and steamed veggies. It was a very satisfying meal. Angela, thank you for the recipe!