Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
After trying many different variations of tuna patties, this is the best one so far.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 500 g tuna, in brine
- 3⁄4 of an onion
- 1⁄2 red capsicum
- 1 stalk celery
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Peel and boil the potatoes until soft.
- Drain the water, then add some milk and butter and mash the potatoes until they are white and creamy.
- Drain the tuna and break up into a bowl.
- Finely chop the onion, celery, capsicum and place in the bowl with the tuna.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the mixture.
- Add the potatoe mash once it has cooled then mix well.
- Break 1 egg into a cup then with a fork beat it.
- Add this to the mixture.
- Using damp hands, make patties out of the mixture.
- Coat the patties in flour, then egg and finally coat them in breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry the patties until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with a fresh salad and tomato sauce.
The tuna mixture was too moist and fragile to hold together well ... so the breading process was very messy. I followed the recipe to the letter so I don't know what caused the problem. The flavor was bland. It seemed to be missing something. I don't think I will use this recipe again.
Easy to make and my kids love them and if they like it it's a winner