Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This cool and refreshing salad is perfect for lunch or a light dinner. Serve this over fresh greens of your choice along with crisp bread as a main dish or serve as a side dish. Either way the blending of flavors is a true taste delight.
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 3 green onions, sliced thin (tops included)
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, minced fine
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, minced fine
- 1 medium roma tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, finely diced
- 1 egg, hardboiled, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, thoroughly drained
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse under cold water to quick chill, drain well and pour into large mixing bowl.
- Stir in green onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, olives, egg, fresh herbs, mustard, and parsley; mixing well.
- Add the lemon juice, yogurt, tuna and cheese, mix well; add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a sliced bell pepper slice, sliced tomato or additional cheese if desired.
- Serve immediately, if preparing to serve later, reserve 1/2 cup of the yogurt to add just before serving as the pasta will absorb the moisture when refrigerated.
Generally fresh-sounding (I have not made it). I plan to make it because it contains the ingredients we like in a substantial salad -- as a light meal. 21 June 07: I FORGOT TO REVIEW THIS!! We had a spell of unnaturally hot weather some days ago (it's winter here!!) and I had to prepare a light lunch for 2 friends, so we were 4 people. This salad, with French bread from a local bakery and cold white wine, fitted the bill. I confess to using 3 hardboiled eggs and more of all the ingredients because I only made this one dish. I used a tangy mayonnaise instead of the yoghurt. This was after reading the previous reviews. But apart from the mayo I didn't sub anything. The salad was made early and had a few hours in the fridge although you state "serve immediately". I think the flavours developed well, though, and the salad didn't seem to suffer -- we loved the fresh tastes. Thanks!
great as a light supper. easy to make.
This salad is very tasty. I only made one change and that is a matter of personal preference. I don't love celery seed so I halved the amount. For me, I might replace it with a little finely diced fresh celery. Which I know is a completely different flavour. But that's just me. Otherwise it's great. Yum!