Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from the Rachael Ray web site and it is easy and delish. Di Scharf posted something similar from Rachael Ray but the measurements and some of the ingredients are a little different. We loved this pasta and I hope you try it.
- 1 lb penne pasta, I used whole wheat
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (6 ounce) cansitalian tuna in vegetable oil or 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped, I use Kalamata
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- fresh ground pepper
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Cook the penne pasta until al dente.
- In the meantime, over medium heat in a large skillet heat the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tuna and break it up with a spoon.
- Add olives and capers.and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook down for another minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes with their juice.
- Add the chopped parsley, lemon zest and black pepper.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a few ladles of the pasta cooking water to the pasta sauce.
- Drain pasta and add to the skillet.
- Toss to coat.
I followed the recommendation of sydney200025 and added some anchovy fillets pressed through a garlic press with the garlic.
This is an easy and colorful dish to prepare, but I would recommend adding 4 - 6 anchovy fillets in addition to the tuna. Fresh basil also kicks this up a notch. Serve this with some fresh shredded fontina or mozzarella cheese.