1/1 Photo of Tuna (Or Fish or Chicken) With Ginger Shiitake Cream Sauce
Excellent, no-fail and incredibly simple. Guests are always floored by this recipe! I adapted it from Bon Appetit. Get all of your ingredients ready before you begin (mise en place), as the cooking goes quickly. Also, be sure to use regular full-fat whipping cream -- the flavor of the cream is key to this and low-fat substitutions won't work well. If you decide to substitute chicken breasts for the tuna, decrease the heat and increase the cooking time to thoroughly cook the chicken. Serve on a bed of baby greens, alongside Wasabi Mashed Potatoes. Perfection!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 36 ounces ahi tuna steaks, 1-inch thick (or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup green onion
- 2 tablespoons ginger, fresh grated
- 4 garlic cloves, pushed through garlic press
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I suggest low-sodium)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 6 cups baby greens (optional) or 6 cups spring greens (optional)
- 3 cups wasabi mashed potatoes (optional)
- cilantro (optional) or chives, for garnishing (optional)
- 1Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- 2Heat a skillet on your stove to medium high.
- 3Grind a generous amount of pepper onto one side of tuna steaks (skip this if using chicken and see intro for instructions).
- 4Add oil to the pan. When it's very hot, add the tuna steaks, pepper side down. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until seared but still rare in the center. Remove from the pan and keep warm on a plate, tented with foil, in a 200 degree oven.
- 5In the medium-high pan where you seared the tuna (or chicken), add butter, onion, ginger and garlic. Sautee for a minute, just until the garlic becomes translucent (don't let it brown).
- 6Add shiitakes and cook, without stirring, until they brown slightly. Add the soy sauce and cream. Let it cook until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the lime juice and cilantro.
- 7Serve tuna, fish or chicken hot atop a bed of greens. Add wasabi mashed potatoes alongside. Top all with the sauce, and garnish with cilantro or chive sprigs.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuna (Or Fish or Chicken) With Ginger Shiitake Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 854.7
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.3 g
- Saturated Fat 30.2 g
- Cholesterol 242.0 mg
- Sodium 720.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 64.2 g