Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
This recipe is from "Green Hills Garden CLub Cooks...Favorite Recipes from Vicksburg, MS" (Lois Sullivan). Excellent recipe for a tuna melt. You can also substitute canned white chicken for the tuna.
- 2 English muffins, split
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) can solid white tuna or 1 (9 ounce) can white chicken meat packed in water, drained
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown muffins in toaster or broiler oven.
- Mix all ingredients except tomatoes and cheese.
- Top each muffin with tuna/chicken mix, cover with tomato slice and sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 5 inches from heat until cheese melts and is a little bown.
Delicious! I used regular bread instead of english muffins, non-fat mayo, and non-fat cheese. Thanks!
My DH and I really enjoyed this! I fixed it for lunch with leftover turkey and used the english muffins. Quick and delicious! Thank you.
I really enjoyed this! I used one slice of whole wheat bread instead of an english muffin, toasted & spread with my homemade garlic butter. I also used fat free mayo, pickles for the red onions & added a few shakes of minced onion, seasoning salt, black pepper & garlic powder. I used 3 oz tuna which made me work a little to get the other ingredients right, but I think I did well! Next time I'll add a tad more mustard & use onion powder-oh, and skipped the tomatoes & used low fat mozzarella cheese. I topped it with a small amount of diced turkey bacon. Lovely, quick lunch; thank you for sharing!