Recipe by Manami
We love the combination of flavors in this casserole! Instead of cold - hot! Found in January, 2007 edition of Cottage Living.
- 8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄3 onion, grated (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley or 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 (12 ounce) cansolid-white albacore tuna in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1⁄2 cup nicoise olives (optional) or 1⁄2 cup other black olives, pitted and halved (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions, adding green beans to the cooking water during the last 3 minutes of cooking time.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, about 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat, and slowly whisk in 1 cup Parmesan, whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in salt, red pepper flakes, and white pepper.
- Add noodles and green beans, parsley, tuna, capers, grated onion(if using) and, if desired, olives; gently toss to mix well.
- Add tomato, and gently toss to combine.
- Preheat to 375ºF.
- Transfer mixture to an 11- x 7-inch (1 1/2-quart) baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over casserole, and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.