Recipe by cathianne
We hadn't had tuna noodle casserole in over a year because of my son's allergies. I researched dairy-free cream of mushroom soup recipes and found Non-Dairy Cream of Mushroom Soup Substitute. The recipe below includes a variation on that recipe. My version does include soybean oil which is safe for many with soy allergies, but the shortening could be replaced with olive or corn oil.
Top Review by UmmBinat
I used this recipe as a base. I made it gluten free. I used butter for the shortening, both regular mushrooms and potabella mushrooms, a dash cayenne instead of serrano pepper, white rice flour for the flour, tapioca starch instead of cornstarch as we are corn free. I found I had to add salt for which I used sea salt and I used regular black pepper. I also added some Helmans olive oil mayonnaise for added creaminess which is soy free. In the casserole I used rice pasta, tuna that was in oil and vegetable broth, green onion and cooked chopped carrot because I didn't have any frozen peas but I think it would have been better with peas. I topped the casserole with crushed plain ruffle chips. I would possibly make this again with more of the cream of mushroom soup.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced (not canned)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups rice milk
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 12 ounces canned tuna
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup rice milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions. Rinse with cool water and put aside.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the mushrooms, minced onions, and serrano pepper for about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Melt the shortening. Add the flour, corn starch and pepper, whisking to get out any lumps. After a minute or two, add the rice milk. Continue to whisk until it begins to thicken (which will happen quickly). Put the sauteed vegetables back in the pan and heat for a minute or two. Add more rice milk if it gets too thick. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375. In a deep casserole dish, combine the soup, rice milk and onion. Next add the tuna and peas. Finally, add the noodles, carefully folding them into the rest of the mixture.
- Cook covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for no more than 10.