Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A classic home dish
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 (6 ounce) cans albacore tuna, drained (packed in water or oil)
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups cooked egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Melt 4 T of butter over med heat in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion and saute until the mushrooms give up their juice, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour until it forms a paste. Stir in the milk, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the tuna, breaking up any clumps. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the noodles and peas tot he sauce and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs. Melt the remaining 2 T butter and drizzle over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the topping is browned. Serve hot.