Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the best because it doesn't use salty cream soups!
- 1 cup macaroni
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (6 ounce) can canned tuna, drained
- 2 cups peas
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large pot of water cook macaroni; drain well.
- In a saucepan combine flour and butter. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add milk and whisk until sauce thickens. Add cheese to mixture; and whisk until cheese is melted.
- Stir in tuna, peas and noodles.
- Place in a baking dish.
- Bake in oven for 30min.
I thought this recipe was very bland. I had to add a ton of salt and pepper to it and it was still not great. I also added green pepper, onions, garlic, celery and mushrooms that had been seasoned and cooked. It's a good guide for a tuna casserole that doesn't use cream soup but definitely requires some creative liberties.
I had a craving for tuna noodle casserole but did not have any cream soup on hand. This recipe fit the bill. The only change I made was to saute some onions in the butter before I added the flour, and I used mozarella instead of cheddar becuase that is what I had available. I also added some salt and pepper to the mixture before baking, and then I sprinkled some breadcrumbs on top. This was really easy and realy tasty - will add to my permanent recipe file!