Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quick, easy dinner or lunch!
- 1 (12 ounce) box elbow macaroni, prepared according to package
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 10 ounces canned tuna, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes. (Until slightly thick) Set aside. 1 (12 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, prepared may be substituted.
- Place noodles in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch pan. Top with frozen peas, then tuna.
- Pour cream soup over noodles, peas, and tuna.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Made for supper tonight. Nice option for those who may not keep cream soups on hand. I made a variation as I only had 8 oz. of pasta on hand. I cooked and drained the pasta and layered it in the casserole dish with the tuna and a 16 oz. bag of mixed veggies. For the sauce I also sauteed some onions and celery and added a bit of ranch dressing for extra zip. The recipe didn't say to add the milk, but I added it after the flour in small batches as you would for any cream base. Topped with buttered cracker crumbs, rather than cheese. It turned out to be a pretty standard Tuna Noodle Casserole, but it was good. I'd probably prefer the cheese topping to the cracker one, but it was what we had. 10 month old enjoyed self feeding this, which makes me happy.