These great little canapes can be eaten for a light lunch or snack and are also nice enough to be served as am impressive hors d'oeuvres. Read through the recipe before making as there are a few hours of marinating time (combined) in a couple of the steps. The canapes can be refrigerated for up to 8 hours before serving.
My Private Note
Dozen C ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb sushi-grade tuna steak, 1 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tapenade (black olive paste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 nicoise olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lb small unpeeled red potatoes
- 24 French haricots vert or 24 thin green beans
- 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1Slice the tuna into 1/2 -inch-thick strips going against the grain. Cut each strip into one inch strips - you should have 24 pieces of tuna.
- 2Combine soy sauce and olive paste in a medium mixing bowl. Add the tuna pieces and softly toss to coat. Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- 3In a large thick skillet heat the olive oil. Remove tuna from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Add 12 of the pieces to the skillet. Sear over high heat until well browned, turning once, about 15 seconds per side. Place cooked tuna on paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining tuna pieces. Cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- 4Make a chunky olive paste by chopping the olives with 1 tablespoon of the capers. Transfer to a small bowl and mix with mayonnaise.
- 5Slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch circles until you have 24 rounds. Put the slices in a bowl of ice water and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain, place in saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and boil until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove potatoes from the pot with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- 6Bring the water back to a boil and add the haricots verts or thin green beans. Boil over moderately high heat until tender, about 1 minute. Drain, rinse with cold water and place on paper towels to drain. Cut 1 inch from both tips of each bean and reserve for the garnish.
- 7Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of the olive mayonnaise mixture on each potato slice. Set a piece of tuna on top of the slice and garnish with 1/2 teaspoon of the diced tomatoes, a few capers and 2 haricot vert tips.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuna Niçoise Canapes (Nicoise)
Serving Size: 1 (1071 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 745.9
- Calories from Fat 399
- Total Fat 44.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 50.7 mg
- Sodium 2279.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 36.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: