Over time, I have edited and upgraded my mornay and now it has become the most requested item to bring to parties etc! Even better, its low in fat!
- 14.79 ml low-fat butter or 14.79 ml low-fat margarine
- 59.16 ml plain flour
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml mustard
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml mixed herbs
- 0.25 ml paprika
- 1000.0 ml skim milk
- 425 g tuna in water
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 eggs
- 177.44 ml corn kernel
- 177.44 ml baby peas
- 236.59 ml cooked rice
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 236.59 ml low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Melt butter.
- Add flour and dry ingredients (not bread crumbs). Mix to thick paste.
- Slowly add milk, stirring with a whisk so as not to form lumps.
- Heat until thickened.
- Mix tuna, onion, eggs, cooked rice, corn, peas and half of cheese.
- Pour into casserole dish, and top with remaining cheese, then breadcrumbs.
- Bake in moderate oven for an hour.
I copt this recipe for the Mornay Sauce adding a 1/3rd cup of grated parmesan. The sauce is delish