Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
After enjoying this dish at Fleming's Steakhouse in Scottsdale, Arizona, I needed to find the recipe and have it for myself. Paul Fleming, creator of the steakhouse (as well as P.F. Chang's) puts together absolutely amazing dishes, and this one exemplifies that!
- 2 (6 ounce) tuna fillets
- 1⁄8 cup poppy seed
- 1⁄8 cup ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, diced
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, ends cut off and remaining portion diced
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, cored,seeded and diced
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- Place shallots, green onion and tomatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add sherry and rice vinegars.
- Add salt and olive oil; stir well.
- Set aside.
- (I made this mixture ahead of time and let set for 30-45 minutes, allowing the flavors to mix, but this is not necessary).
- Roll tuna fillet in poppyseed-peppercorn mixture.
- In a well-heated pan, sear tuna on both sides to desired temperature (approx. 1-2 minutes per side, so that the tuna is very pink on the inside).
- Place tuna on a plate and top with tomato mixture.
Firstly, I have not had this dish at Flemings so I cannot compare it. I liked this recipe overall, but my family still has trouble with rare tuna. I like it that way, but will cook it my family member's pieces to medium well (boo-hiss, I know). Most of my family thought the crust was overwhelming, but I enjoyed it. I found the tomato sherry topping to be too tart; next time I think I would try it with sherry, instead of sherry vinegar. That might change the recipe completely, but I think for me would make it better.
Well the 1st time I made this recipe i used a chunk of not-so-fresh tuna that under normal circumstances would have been unbearable but the tomato, shallots, onion and viniger blinded the bad tuna and instead of worrying about e.coli or malaria i truly enjoyed the taste of my bad tuna.The second time I made it with good tuna and it was ridiculously good definitely deserveth of the 5 stars