Recipe by Chef Sunshine
This tuna melt is as good as the melts we remember from our childhood, but fits into a healthy diet. Serve with a green salad for a quick, satisfying supper or by itself for an easy weekend lunch.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 (6 ounce) cans chunk light tuna, drained
- 1 medium shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler.
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Combine tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, hot sauce and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast; top with tomato slices and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.