Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This tuna melt is as good as the melts we remember from our childhood, but fits into a healthy diet. Serve with a green salad for a quick, satisfying supper or by itself for an easy weekend lunch.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 (6 ounce) cans chunk light tuna, drained
- 1 medium shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the broiler.
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Combine tuna, shallot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, salt, hot sauce and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the tuna mixture on each slice of toast; top with tomato slices and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Great recipe, but using 'light tuna'? Try using white tuna and you will definitely up it a notch or two.
Light, delicious taste. Very easy to prepare.
Delicious! The only change I make is to omit the shallot. I've made this several times and some just eat the tuna mix without the tomato and cheese, full of flavor that way too. Thanks for posting!