Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These make a nice lunch, I have been making these for awhile now. Serve with a small salad and some fruit.
- 6 ounces solid white tuna packed in water, drained
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- dill pickle
- 1 red onion
- 2 whole wheat English muffins, split
- 3 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine tuna, celery, onion and mayonnaise/pickles/ketchup dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast English muffin halves.
- Place split-side-up on baking sheet and top each with 1/4 of tuna mixture.
- Broil 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with cheese and return to broiler until cheese is melted, about 1 minute longer.
What a great recipe!! I had company over for lunch and it went over very well! Thank you! My Niece said "Wow I feel like I am eating a cheeseburger without the guilt" So from now on I am making my tuna this way all the time.
The recipe for this tuna melt has been around since 1969. My aunt was serving us this type of tuna melt then. If she had know then with 13 children in the house that it would be so popluar she would have entered it herself as a recipe. It was just a good meal for us,
A nice, tasty treat for lunch! I did not use low-fat mayo or cheese, but full strength. LOL Also, I add finely chopped green onions (with the green tops too) Thanks for posting, Dancer.