Recipe by Barb G.
This recipe for tuna stewed with tomatoes is from Favigiana area in Sicily.The recipe calls for sun-ripened tomatoes or if not sun or vine ripened use canned tomatoes. Hope you enjoy it.
- 6 slices fresh tuna (3/4inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup capers, rinsed
- 2 ounces green olives
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley or 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, minced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a large oven-proof skillet; arrange the tuna slices evenly over the bottom of the skillet and sprinkle them with the tomatoes,capers and olives.
- Add just enough WATER to cover the fish and cook over high heat until the liquid is almost evaporated.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs minced herbs, salt & pepper over the fish, dribble a little olive oil over it; Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning, spoon tomato mixture over the fish and serve it from the pan.