Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You'll crave this salad once you try it, this also works well with chicken in place of the tuna, please do not omit the sweet pickles they *make* this salad! adjust all amounts to suit taste, plan ahead this needs to chill before serving, cooking time is chilling time
Top Review by Mary N.
Update: forgot about this recipe and just made it again. I also chopped up a few eggs into and still used the dill pickles instead of sweet. Used 1/2 mayo, 1/2 miracle whip. Yum! ......I just mixed this one up as I am always trying to find a tuna macaroni salad that I really like for my "go to" recipe. I think this may be the one! I made exactly according to directions except i used dill relish and pickle instead of the sweet because of personal preference. This tasted awesome and that's before its had time to chill! I can't wait to try this in a few hours when I serve with dinner! It was very easy and you can always omit or add extra ingredients per personal taste! Thanks for posting Kitten!!
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained (can use 3 cans)
- 4 -5 green onions, chopped or 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped sweet pickles (can use more or less, do not squeeze out any juice from the pickles)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use half of each) or 1 cup salad dressing (I use half of each)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (optional or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (yes 1 tablespoon or even 1-1/2 tablespoons!)
- 1 -2 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 -4 hard-boiled eggs (quartered) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender; drain then rinse well under cold water; place in a bowl then toss with 1 tablespoon oil to prevent sticking.
- Add in tuna, onion, bell pepper, celery and sweet pickles; toss to combine.
- In a bowl mix together mayonnaise with sour cream, sweet relish (if using) garlic powder, yellow mustard (start with 1 tablespoon mustard) and seasoned salt; add to the macaroni mixture; mix well to combine.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Arrange the cooked egg wedges around the inside of the bowl, then dust the top of the salad and eggs lightly with paprika.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours before serving (the longer chilling time the better!).