You'll crave this salad once you try it, this also works well with chicken in place of the tuna, please do not omit the sweet pickles they *make* this salad! adjust all amounts to suit taste, plan ahead this needs to chill before serving, cooking time is chilling time
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained (can use 3 cans)
- 4 -5 green onions, chopped or 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped sweet pickles (can use more or less, do not squeeze out any juice from the pickles)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use half of each) or 1 cup salad dressing (I use half of each)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (optional or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (yes 1 tablespoon or even 1-1/2 tablespoons!)
- 1 -2 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 -4 hard-boiled eggs (quartered) (optional)
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender; drain then rinse well under cold water; place in a bowl then toss with 1 tablespoon oil to prevent sticking.
- Add in tuna, onion, bell pepper, celery and sweet pickles; toss to combine.
- In a bowl mix together mayonnaise with sour cream, sweet relish (if using) garlic powder, yellow mustard (start with 1 tablespoon mustard) and seasoned salt; add to the macaroni mixture; mix well to combine.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Arrange the cooked egg wedges around the inside of the bowl, then dust the top of the salad and eggs lightly with paprika.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours before serving (the longer chilling time the better!).
Oh my goodness, what a delicious salad! I halved the recipe in case we didn't like it...big mistake. We ate it all at one meal. The only change I made was to add some small cubes of cheese and to chop up the eggs and mix them in. Thank you for posting this recipe!
Excellent! The only thing I left out the sour cream and green onions, didn't have any. Will add the next time I make it. DH said it was the best he's had.
Did this for a church fellowship, it was a huge hit. Everyone loved it. It's a keeper for sure!