Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is another one of those “in every kitchen cabinet” type of recipes that I have been cooking for years. It originated because I basically didn’t know how to cook (still not sure that has changed much). Now-a-days we use the recipe in those not much time to prepare situations and still enjoy remembering, as well as laughing about, how it was when my husband and I started our journey through life together.
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) package macaroni and cheese mix
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (9 ounce) can tuna
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 5 large cherry tomatoes (halved, then each half cut into thirds)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot on medium heat prepare macaroni. About five minutes prior to the pasta being done add the mixed vegetables and onion to the pasta water. When pasta is done, strain. Return the mixture to the pot. Mix in butter, packaged macaroni cheese powder, tuna, garlic, ginger, pepper, parsley, thyme, soy sauce, soup, and finally milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish. Layer the top with the cheddar cheese. Arrange the tomatoes in any pattern desired. Place in oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- When done, remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve.