Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great favourite in my household. And I have found that even people who generally don't like tuna enjoy this dish. It's sounds unusual I know, but it really is very nice served with crusty bread and a green salad!
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (415 g) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 (425 g) can tuna, drained
- lasagna noodle, pre-cooked or fresh
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 30 g butter or 30 g margarine
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook til onion is soft.
- Stir in undrained, mashed tomatoes, water, crumbled stock cube and tomato paste.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in Tuna.
- For the sauce: Melt butter in a microwave proof jug.
- Add flour and blend well before adding milk.
- Mix well with a balloon whisk.
- Microwave for 2 minutes on high whisking after the first minute.
- Layer Lasagna noodles, tuna mix and sauce in a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 180 degrees celsius for about 25 minutes.
Good but we weren't wowed by this, rather lacking in seasoning and creamier than we like. Just a bit of seasoning may have made all the difference. Also I may make my usual white sauce rather than this one which adds cottage cheese to the same ingredients, this I would put on top rather than in the layers. Changes I made were grated zuchinni added, diced tomatoes rather than tomatoes and mozzarella instead of tasty.
Great way to get rid of all that extra tuna!!
This recipe really surprised me, fantastic, definitely will be a regular in my household.