Recipe by Loyce Seth
This recipe was handed to my mother by her mother, from about a hundred years ago. I have over the years adapted it to my own tastes, and I personally believe that the cheese is the key. This is great favorite for when you are not well, and need something simple and light.
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup water or 3⁄4 cup milk, your choice
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or 8 ounces shell macaroni
- 1 medium onion, chopped small pcs
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (optional)
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (your favorite) or 1 cup cheddar cheese (your favorite) or 1 cup swiss cheese (your favorite)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- Then separately, simmer onion and celery together (I have quit using the celery altogether, myself).
- When onion is tender, add mushroom soup, with either half a can of water or milk (I use water).
- I have begun adding the drained tuna into this mixture at this point.
- When macaroni is ready, (approx 8- 10 minutes).
- Combine in casserole dish, with the soup mixture, and tuna if not already in soup mixture.
- Then stir in the shredded cheese.
- Layer on the top, the slices of American cheese, so that the entire top is covered.
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted over the top.
- Serve and enjoy.