This recipe was handed to my mother by her mother, from about a hundred years ago. I have over the years adapted it to my own tastes, and I personally believe that the cheese is the key. This is great favorite for when you are not well, and need something simple and light.
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup water or 3⁄4 cup milk, your choice
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or 8 ounces shell macaroni
- 1 medium onion, chopped small pcs
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (optional)
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (your favorite) or 1 cup cheddar cheese (your favorite) or 1 cup swiss cheese (your favorite)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
- Then separately, simmer onion and celery together (I have quit using the celery altogether, myself).
- When onion is tender, add mushroom soup, with either half a can of water or milk (I use water).
- I have begun adding the drained tuna into this mixture at this point.
- When macaroni is ready, (approx 8- 10 minutes).
- Combine in casserole dish, with the soup mixture, and tuna if not already in soup mixture.
- Then stir in the shredded cheese.
- Layer on the top, the slices of American cheese, so that the entire top is covered.
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted over the top.
- Serve and enjoy.
I baked it uncovered for 15 minutes, then put the cheese slices on top and baked it 10 minutes more. Used grated cheddar. Good taste. Husband liked it.
Pretty good. Needed some veggies in it, next time I will add some peas to give it more flavor. I loved how cheesy it was.
Good, quick and easy. I made half a recipe because I had a half can of soup to use up; I left the tuna amount the same and halved the rest. Will probably use again when I need to use up cream of whatever soup. Thanks for sharing :)