Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A creamy and comfy dinner on chilly or cold nights. This is fast and economical. I offer credit to my mother-n-law who shared this recipe with me. SHE WAS THE GREATEST always willing to share her recipes, kindness and heart.
- 10 -16 ounces egg noodles
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can peas
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water
- 5 -6 ounces milk (1/2 of soup can)
- 1 teaspoon butter, pat
- Cook noodles al dente as per package directions.
- Combine mushroom soup and milk in a 10 x 10 casserole dish ( or similar in size).
- Add in peas (drained).
- Add in tuna in water (drained).
- Mix gently as you do not want the tuna fish to mince. leave some chunks in there.
- Add in cooked noodles and blend well.
- Top with pat of butter.
- Microwave for 5 minute stir.
- Serve and enjoy.
- *** Prep time does not include time to get noodle water to boil.
- *** Can sizes vary, I generally use the standard size anywhere from 10-14 oz.
I have made this for aobut 20 years now exactly as your recipe calls for except i dont finish the cooking in the micorwave, i put it on a preheated 350 F oven for about 20 minutes. I also call it chicken surprise, surprise its not chicken. My # 3 daughter would cringe if i said it was tuna. Yes she ate it and still does and she asks mom is this "chicken surprise" Tina
came together easliy. used tuna in olive oil, well drained. 1/3 sprinkled with cheese for the grandkids (2 and 4) 1/3 with a custard topping for kids, (30 and 31) 1/3 with added chilli and garlic and custard topping. very versatile recipe, and a keeper!
I tried this recipe with green peas, which is not one of my favorite veggies, so I was hesitant to rate the recipe. I just felt that was fair since my personeal tastes shouldn't affect a rating. But, today I re-made the recipe and subbed the green peas with 1lb. fresh wilted spinach...which IS a favorite of mine. It was wonderful! I made no other changes. AND, tonight I used a serving of leftovers, added an egg and some cheese and made a fritata for dinner. OH MY!!, what a wonderful, versitile recipe. Had to give you a great rating, though I did have to alter it a bit. On versitility alone, it deserves 5 stars. Will freeze some portions now, and have a few more ready to go fritata dinners on hand. Thanks!