Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty economical dish that doesn't taste like tuna! From Better Family Cooking, Octopus Books Limited, 1980.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and thinily sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup salted peanuts, finely chopped
- 2 cups apple juice
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup apple, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Cook rice in boiling water for 10 minutes then drain thoroughly.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and saute onion and green pepper with the curry powder for 5 minutes.
- Add peanuts, apple juice, salt, pepper, diced apple, lemon juice and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and tuna and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
Bizarre, but quite delicious. We made this once and then craved it so much that we made it again the next week. It tastes sweet, but not too sweet. And, it does not taste like tuna. The only change I would make is to add the tuna at the very end because it can get a little chewy if it is overcooked. Enjoy!!