This is very filling, easy to prepare and inexpensive. It came from a cookbook that I got at a garage sale for 99 cents. It has no cover and is over 30yrs. old. I made this frequently when both my husband and I were at the university...and had two kids! Money was very tight and this recipe was a hit. I have updated to make a bit healthier.
- Wrap tortillas in a slightly dampened tea towel. Place in microwave for 2-3 minutes, (depending on the wattage of your microwave) to soften. If you do not have a microwave, fry quickly in a bit of oil to soften.
- Mix the enchilada sauce with the water.
- Pour a scant 1/4 cup sauce into the bottom of a greased round, 2-qt. casserole.
- Pour the rest of the sauce into dish deep and wide enough to dip tortillas into.
- Dip two tortillas in sauce and arrange in casserole; sprinkle with 1/3 of the tuna, 1/4 of the cheese, 1/3 of the onion, and a scant 1/4 cup of the sauce.
- Make two more layers like this and top with the last two tortillas and the remaining cheese.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over all and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- It looks pretty if you sprinkle sliced black olives over the top before serving.