Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour, stir to a smooth consistency.
- Then, slowly add milk, stirring to eliminate lumps.
- Continue adding milk, a little at a time, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the tuna.
- Heat gently over medium-low heat until it is warmed throughout.
- Ladle on top of toast.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This is very good and very easy to make. But the recipe doesn'st specify the quantity of milk and tuna. I found that too much milk spoiled the dish. The first time I made this I used too much milk to the amount of tuna, and it ran everywhere. My suggested ratio is no more than half a cup of milk to 185 grams (about 6 ozs) of tuna. A variation you can try is to add some finely chopped onions to the butter, brown them until they are soft, then add the flour and carry on with the recipe. Just a little different in taste.
One of my favorite "comfort foods". Great on toasted english muffins with the addition of grated cheese. Thanks for reminding me of a quick meal that I love.
Years ago, my Mom used to make this for us at lunch. We loved it. Hadn't thought about it in years, but I was looking for a quick and easy after work recipe with tuna for just the two of us. This was it. Thanks for posting it and reminding me that sometimes the simple things are the best.