Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I first made this on 1/15/03. It's surprisingly good and very easy to make. Also very easy on the wallet!
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 -2 tablespoon curry powder, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tuna, well drained
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Seasonings recipe did not come with seasoning instructions
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- Melt butter in saucepan; add onion.
- Saute until golden.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook until bubbly.
- Gradually add water, cooking and stirring until smooth.
- Blend in curry powder, seasonings and half-and-half.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gently add tuna and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Spoon over hot cooked rice and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with small bowls of the above condiments.
Wow! This recipe gets 5 stars simply for the surprise factor. The family wanted tuna and noodles, but I had tuna and rice in the cupboard and the oven was in self-clean mode and useable. I came looking for a recipe I could make on the stove with tuna and rice.
At first this recipe did not look appealing at all. Tuna and curry???? Never thought of it before. Well, I made it and LOVED it. DH loved it too. He had to ask what kind of fish I used. It tasted like a lot more than a can of tuna! Both the girls (5 & 8) asked for seconds. The 8 year old only gave it 3 stars, but I think it was because she was in the mood for the traditional casserole - oh, and I added frozen peas.
I made as below except instead of the water/half and half/flour I used I can of coconut milk as that is what I had in the house. I also used 3 cans tuna and added the peas to make it enough for our family.
Thanks! This recipe is a keeper I will make again!
I gave this four stars instead of five only because not everyone in my family liked this recipe. I thought it was quite tasty :) The only change I made was to add a few bell peppers so we had some more veggies in our dinner. Thanks for the great recipe, I'll be making this again for at least the 3 of us who ate it! Oh, and we did add the peanuts which everyone liked.
I really enjoyed this. It gets 5 stars from me simply for being a great new way for me to sneak more fish into my family's diet. Didn't taste "fishy" at all. Plus, it was extremely quick to put together!