Recipe by chia
from today's NY Times, this looks like a perfect weeknight dinner served over rice.
Top Review by magpie diner
This is so great, thanks Chia! And so easy! I have a tub of tamarind paste in my fridge - was thrilled to find another use for it. Made the recipe exactly as written and wouldnt' change a thing! Had to tame down the spice mind you, for kids at the table. Even without the full force heat, it was fab. I could see making this with other proteins as well. Surprisingly my husband loved it, and anything labelled curry, or with coconut is usually a no go for him. I think the tamarind is what makes this. I served this with "Recipe #155037". Delish! (Made for ZWT5, Cooks w/Dirty Faces Team).
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb tuna, in 2 inch cubes
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 long green chilies, sliced in half and seeded
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan mix turmeric in 1 cup water.
- Add tuna, and season with salt.
- Place over medium-low heat, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 2 minutes, turning tuna cubes once.
- Remove from heat.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat, and add oil.
- When it shimmers, add garlic, ginger and mustard seeds.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, shallots and chilies; cook for 1 minute.
- Add tuna, about 1/3 cup of its cooking water, coconut milk, tamarind and salt to taste.
- Stir to dissolve tamarind.
- Simmer, covered, until sauce has blended and thickened slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.