Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Bobby Flay. This recipe is delicious and presents like a holiday meal. No one will ever believe how easy it is. It takes about an hour for the sauce to reduce, but is otherwise quick and easy, with minimal prep time. Serve with Melted Leeks.
- 4 (7 ounce) tuna steaks
- 1⁄4 cup ground aleppo bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- melted leek, : (Melted Leeks also posted separately)
- 4 leeks, split 3/4 of the way, washed well
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
Red-wine Pomegranate Reduction
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup port wine
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Tangerine-Green Onion Relish
- 3 tangerines, peeled and segmented
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup toasted almonds (crushed) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts (crushed)
- Red-Wine Pomegranate Reduction:.
- Place wine and port in a small saucepan and reduce to 1 cup. Whisk in pomegranate molasses and sugar and taste for sweetness (add sugar if necessary). Whisk in cold butter just before serving and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Tangerine-Green Onion Relish:.
- Combine all ingredients (tip: you can substitute canned mandarin oranges) in a medium brown and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Season tuna on both sides with salt. Dust 1 side of the tuna with peppers (tip - you can substitute 3 parts sweet or smoked paprika and 1 part ground red pepper for the aleppo peppers). Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Sear the tuna, pepper side down, until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes, turn over and continue cooking for 2 minutes for medium rare doneness.
- To plate, divide the melted leeks onto 4 plates. Arrange each tuna steak on top of melted leeks (rice works well too). Place a couple of tablespoons of the tangerine-green onion relish on top of the tuna. Drizzle the entire dish with red-wine pomegranate reduction.