Recipe by Engrossed
Created for the Dining on a Dollar contest. A tasty, healthy, jazzed up cowboy caviar. Full of fiber and protein. Good as a dip, over lettuce, by it's self or wrapped in a tortilla with cheese for a filling lunch. You can easily turn up the heat. Servings depend on if it's a main course or appetizer.
Top Review by Studentchef
I really enjoyed this recipe! Really nice mix of ingredients, and the dressing did jazz it up! I did use cubed cream cheese as suggested, and found that it went really well with everything.
- 425.24 g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (283.49 g) can tuna, drained
- 70.87 g can black olives, drained
- 236.59 ml frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped including greens (scallions)
- 1-2 jalapeno, minced
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped (add just before serving)
- 59.14 ml white vinegar
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 1 lemon, juice of (about 3-4 tbsp)
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml Tabasco sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml sugar (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional) or lettuce (optional) or flour tortilla wraps (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- cream cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss salad ingredients together (except avocado, until just before serving. You can cover avocado with a layer of dressed salad to keep it from browning or just add it as you eat it.).
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and stir into salad.
- Optional: You can stir in shredded cheddar cheese and/or cubed cream cheese.
- Serve as a dip with tortilla chips, over lettuce as a salad, wrapped in a tortilla with cheese or on it's own as a filling lunch.