Top Review by MaryMatt1016
I absolutely love this recipe. It's one that my mother got from her sister sometime in the '70s -- with two major differences. In our version, the onions are scallions, and the peanuts are cashews. I usually stick to fresh and natural, but this is real comfort food to me, regardless of all the canned ingredients. We love it so much that we've been known to double the recipe, and put the second casserole in the freezer, adding the nuts and chow mein noodles after we've thawed it and before we've cooked it.
- 1 cup cut up celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can tuna
- 1⁄2 can chow mein noodles (reserve 1/4 cup)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup salted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook and stir celery, onion and green pepper in butter until onion is tender.
- Stir in Tuna with remaining ingredients.
- Pour into ungreased 1-1/2 qt.
- casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with reserved chow mein noodles.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.