Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is SO good! It is a traditional ceviche with the citrus juice that "cooks" the fish, however it has soy sauce and ginger which is so wonderful paired with tuna. Simple, healthy and tasty too! It is adapted to my liking from a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. P.S. Feel free to add some minced jalapeno pepper if you like it hot.
- 12 ounces high grade fresh 1/2 inch thick tuna steaks
- 3⁄4 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 small onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 mango, diced
- Place the onion, green onions, ginger, jalapeno (optional), lemon juice, and soy sauce; mix to combine. into a glass non-reactive bowl.
- Cut tuna into 1/2 inch cubes, and stir into the juice mixture in the bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Taste before serving and add more lemon juice or soy sauce as needed.
- Serve in martini glasses, garnish with avocado and mango, and serve with unsalted rice crackers. tortilla chips, or baked wonton wrappers.
Very pretty presentation, with the colors of the tuna, avocado, and mango cubes. However, to my taste, there is too much going on. The flavorings don't quite work together, and the marinade taste overwhelms the tuna. I might try without the diced onion, and a little less of the green onion.