Recipe by Ridgely
This is a great from scratch Tuna Casserole. No canned soup here, an easy Parmesan cream sauce with just a touch of cayenne to give it a nice kick. Red bell peppers, green onions and mushrooms give it the right flavor and colors to pull an ordinary tuna casserole to over the top. This recipe comes from Art Smith's cookbook "Kitchen Life" which I am enjoying very much! When I make this again, I will probably substitute Ritz cracker crumbs for the dried bread crumbs to add a little more pizzaz to the top.
Top Review by Lynettie
So delicious! The whole family (from 14 mos old to adult) loved it and gobbled it up! Definitely will be making this one again. (Note: I substituted peas for the green peppers.)
- 1 lb bow tie pasta (also called farfalle)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350. Lightly coat the inside of a 2 ½ to 3 quart baking with vege spray.
- Bring a large of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until barely tender (it will cook further in the oven). Drain well. Return the pasta to the cooking pot.
- Meanwhile heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and cook stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and the scallions, and cook, stirring often, until the mushroom juices evaporate and the mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour and stir well. Stir in the milk and broth, and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the tuna, ½ cup parmesan and the cayenne. Stir this into the pasta mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the pasta into the baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining ¼ cup parmesan. Bake until the sauce is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve hot.