Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
QUICK & EASY is my motto after a long day at the office yet wanting to cook a "meal". This is a great money saving dish that although everyone teases about tuna casserole, I never have any left over. Prep time is to open the cans, cooking time is to boil the pasta and then simmer time.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can mushrooms (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) package shell pasta
- milk (see directions)
- black pepper (to taste)
- garlic salt (because I put garlic in everything)
- potato chips (optional)
- Cook pasta as directed then drain.
- Drain tuna then add the tuna, soup and mushrooms, stir.
- Add milk to desired consistency (anywhere from 1/2 to 1 cup).
- Add seasonings to taste.
- I add a bit of salt but not too much as I love salt and would tend to add too much. I'd rather the "diner" add their own salt & pepper to taste.
- Let simmer 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- I like to serve with a small amount of crushed potato chips on top, just adds a nice crunch to the meal.
- (Others have suggested adding peas or carrots--it's all up to you).
You are right, this doesn't look like it would taste that good but I have enjoyed your other recipes (I love garlic too) so I thought I would try this one and it was very good. I liked this because I had everything already except I used egg noodles (flat noodles) because I didn't have the other kind. I almost didn't put chips on top but I'm glad I did. I always have a lot of tuna so I will be sure to make this again. Thank you.
Would you believe this is the first time I have ever made Tuna Casserole? I can now see what the attraction is to pantry-based cooking. I had no peas, but had frozen spinach -- what the heck! It tasted great, it was easy, and it tasted even better cold the next day. My only regret really was that I had no potato chips to crumble on top, because even though it sounds wierd I know it would work!
I've never made a tuna casserole before and this recipe looked easy. It was! I didnt have any canned mushrooms on hand so I didnt add those but I did add some frozen brocolli to give it color and some extra nutrients. It was very good! I'll make it again!