Prep 30 mins
Cook 13 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 small onions or 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained well
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cream or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 2 -3 tablespoons grated romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 slice bread
- 2 slices swiss cheese (deli slices)
- Preheat broiler to high; heat a skillet over medium heat; add oil, onions, and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes to soften.
- Add in tuna; cook 3 more minutes; season with pepper; add cream; simmer 2-3 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Add in grated cheese and salt; add peas, stir to combine; remove from heat.
- Toast bread 1 minute on each side and place on baking sheet.
- Spoon tuna casserole onto bread, mounding it all the way to the edges.
- Top tuna with Swiss cheese; return bread to oven.
- Cook 1-3 minutes until cheese has melted and browned at edges.