Recipe by Marceld
No canned soup mix in this recipe! Mushrooms, onions, and water chestnuts go into this casserole. From: "MVANWINKLE at AllRecipes, modified by Marcel"
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, NOT drained Yes, flaked
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed (OK to substitute waterchestnuts)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees C).
- Butter a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add egg noodles, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, until tender.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and mix in mushrooms.
- Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan; whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tuna, peas, mushroom mixture, and cooked noodles. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl, mix with bread crumbs, and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven or until bubbly and lightly browned.