Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta shells
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tuna in olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook according to package.
- Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat, add the oil. Add the onion and celery, cook for 3 minutes, then stir in the bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then add the wine and reduce for 1 minute. Whisk in the broth and boil for 1 minute to thicken. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the milk; season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. When it bubbles, add the peas and tuna and cook until heated through. Add tarragon.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Drain the shells, toss with the sauce and adjust the seasoning. Place the pasta in a 9-by-13-inch heatproof serving dish and cover with Parmesan. Place the dish under the hot broiler and melt cheese.