Recipe by Sharlene~W
Cashews and chow mein noodles set this recipe apart from other tuna casseroles. My dear friend Donna W. shared this recipe with me many moons ago.
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups chow mein noodles, divided
- 3⁄4 cup salted cashews
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté celery, onion and green pepper in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter.
- In saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Mix in flour, stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add salt and milk.
- Heat the mixture until it boils (stirring frequently).
- Boil for 1 minute or until thick (keep stirring).
- Add tuna and sauce to vegetables in pan.
- Stir in milk, 1 cup of the chow mein noodles, the cashews and pepper.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart buttered baking dish.
- Top with remaining chow mein noodles.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.