Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Everyday Food. Be sure to fully drain the tuna. If the mixture is too wet it will fall apart. My husband, who is normally a pretty picky eater, really liked these.
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup prepared salsa
- In a medium bowl, stir together tuna, egg, cilantro, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Mix together until ingredients just hold together.
- Scoop out 1/3 cup tuna mixture and form into patty. Repeat with remaining tuna mixture. You should have 8 patties.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Working in batches, cook cakes until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Serve hot accompanied with salsa.
Yummy! The store didn't have tuna in oil so I had to use the water packed. I also used parsley in place of cilantro because I don't care for the flavor of cilantro. These were a little fragile, but they held together pretty well. I used a rather flat 1/3 cup measure to pack the mixure and then patted them down flatter. I got barely 7 patties, so if you want 8 don't pack them down, or use a bit less than 1/3 cup. These were very good with and without salsa. Thanks!