Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very good, and low-fat. Many years ago, around 20 or so, I remember working with a lady who was a vegetarian------she gave me this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 (7 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1⁄2-1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I use Tobasco)
- Heat oven to 350.
- Melt margarine in a large pan.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Add milk.
- Cook, stirring until hot and thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool slightly.
- Stir in the egg yolks, tuna, broccoli, cheese, onions and seasonings.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff but not dry.
- Fold tuna-mixture into egg whites.
- Put in a straight-sided baking dish, med.sized.
- Bake 45 minutes or until firm to touch.
- 4 servings.
GREAT!!!! I will admit that I used canned white chicken instead of tuna (DH is not really crazy about tuna). It turned out sooooo pretty and was just a tasty as it was pretty. I am going to try it next with the tuna and just see if DH can really tell that much difference....