Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
I think this is quite an unusual recipe. I had never heard of tuna soup so my friend gave me this recipe and swore it was delicious. You can use any beans you like in this. I like the little white ones with the pintos. So here it is -- something different!
Top Review by Auggy
Pretty interesting combination, but actually quite good and surprisingly not fishy. The high protein also makes it very filling. I won't be making this every night, but definitely one I will make more than once.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb fresh sliced mushrooms (I add more)
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained (30 ounces total)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (30 ounces total)
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 (7 ounce) can canned tuna, drained & flaked (14 ounces total)
- 4 sliced green onions
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions and mushrooms 8 minutes. Add 1/4 cup broth to deglaze the browned pieces.
- Add the remaining broth, beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, and oregano leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or longer, if you prefer.
- Stir in the tuna last. If you wish, add red pepper flakes and sugar according to your taste. Top bowls of soup with green onions.