I made this to try to imitate a tuna bake which I used to purchase in a jar. I used a combination of recipes I found on the web and on Recipezaar as inspiration. Comfort food that is simple to prepare. Can be prepared earlier in the day, refrigerated and then cooked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g dried penne pasta
- 1/2 brown onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 100 g chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or any other you like)
- 1 (400 g) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (400 g) can tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, extra
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (can omit)
- 1Cook pasta and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius (~375 degrees F).
- 3Very finely chop onion and red pepper.
- 4Heat oil in small saucepan on low heat. Add onion and cook on low heat for 1-2 minutes or until soft. Place chopped red pepper and cook for further 2-3 minutes, ensuring heat remains low as not to burn the onion and pepper. Take off heat.
- 5In another saucepan, melt butter and add flour to make a roux. Slowly add milk until creamy and there are no lumps. Add cheese and stir well.
- 6Slowly add creamy mushroom soup to the cheesy sauce, again ensuring no lumps form.
- 7Add onion, pepper, tuna and spinach to sauce and stir until warm.
- 8In a large bowl mix pasta and sauce together.
- 9Pour pasta into casserole dish and top with breadcrumbs and cheddar cheese.
- 10Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuna Bake (Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 862.8
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 87.2 mg
- Sodium 988.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 42.9 g