I learned this recipe in a Home Economics Class years ago. This is my favourite Tuna casserole that I have come across to date. I really like the cheesy biscuit topping that makes this so different.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup onion, Chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken and rice soup, I prefer Campbell's Brand
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, Drained and Flaked with a Fork
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1Cook margarine and onion in a pot until golden brown color.
- 2Take the pot off the heat and blend in flour (1/4 Cup or 60 ml) until mixed.
- 3Return pot to stove and add chicken soup, tuna and milk (1 Cup or 250 ml).
- 4Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- 5Take tuna mixture off the heat and add lemon juice.
- 6Pour into a greased baking dish and set aside.
- 7Biscuit Topping: Combine flour (2 Cups or 500 ml), baking powder, and salt.
- 8Cut in shortening with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture is the consistency of coarse cornmeal.
- 9Make a well in the center of the ingredients and add the milk (1 cup or 250 ml) all at once.
- 10Stir batter vigorously until it comes freely from the side of the bowl.
- 11Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead lightly for a few seconds.
- 12Roll dough out with a rolling pin to make a rectangle shape.
- 13Sprinkle the dough rectangle with cheddar cheese.
- 14Roll dough with cheese inside into a log shape.
- 15With a serrated knife slice dough into pieces about 1 inch thick. (Cinnamon bun style pieces)
- 16Turn the biscuit & cheese swirl pieces on their side and lay them on top of the tuna mixture.
- 17Sprinkle a little bit of extra cheese over your cheese/dough swirls and place into the oven.
- 18Cook Tuna Bake uncovered at 425 F for 20 – 30 Minutes.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuna Bake
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.9
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 54.5 mg
- Sodium 1243.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 22.8 g